8 big web design mistakes that drives away website visitors
Posted on March 15, 2021
It is the wish of every website owner to have as many people as possible visit their website. They do their best in hiring the best website designers and invest their time in promoting their websites on social media and other platforms. Their goal is to have their visitors stick around on the website and most probably convert into customers.
However, it can be quite difficult to have the visitors stick around on your website, unless they have a reason to. There are many factors ranging from the design to the user experience that dictates whether they will and come back again or turn their backs and go forever. In most cases, the reasons for them to abandon the site are due to simple mistakes on the web designer’s part.
In this article, you will discover 8 web design mistakes that drive away your website visitors - and how to fix them to make them stick around:
1. Slow loading speed
A slow loading website sucks. I mean.. no one is willing to spend eternity waiting for your website to load. Website visitors have very high expectations: 47% of consumers expect a web page to load within 2 seconds or less. 40% of people abandon a website that takes more than 3 seconds to load. Every 1-second delay in loading your website will send away your potential customers to your competitors. 79% of online shoppers who have trouble with site performance say they won’t return to the site to buy again.
Here is an article that gives tips on how to increase your website loading speed.
2. Cluttered homepage
Your homepage being the first page your website visitors will land to when they visit your web address is the most important page on your website. A disorganized homepage cluttered with a lot of unnecessary elements may put off your visitors and make them leave.
A good homepage should be well organized with a summary of what the whole website is about. It should be simple with a neat design with a good balance of colors, images, texts, and white space.
3. Poor user experience(UX)
User experience refers to how a user feels while interacting with the website. If people find your website difficult to use or unattractive, they will likely leave it and not come back again.
To improve your website user experience: make it is easy to use, beautiful and eye-catching, easy to navigate, and with quality content.
50.81% of all website visitors(excluding tablets) use mobile devices. Always test your website across multiple devices just to be sure your website users get a superb experience regardless of the devices they use.
4. Confusing navigation
One of the major reasons why visitors leave a website is difficulty in navigation from one page to another. If your visitors cannot find their way around your website, then you could be losing a good portion of them.
You will probably find that every popular website has a navigation bar at the top. Your website should have a clear and precise navigation bar for visitors to hover over and click.
5. Lack of calls-to-action
Your website visitors will always come and leave without taking any action if you don’t make them to. Surprisingly, people will typically do what you ask of them. For example, on your website if you end a blog post with "Let us know your thoughts in the comment section" or "Like, Comment and Share" on social media you will notice higher engagement rates than when you don’t ask them to take any action.
Guide potential customers to a specific action with a clear, prominent, and well-distinguished button or link. Such calls-to-action may include: “enroll”, “register”, “contact us”, “book appointment”, “request quote”, “get started”, etc
6. Broken links on the website
Broken links are one of the strongest reasons why people usually leave a website. If a visitor wants to navigate from one page on your website to another but the link is broken, this will leave a bad impression. Clicking on a link that leads to an error page, redirects to the same page, or simply does nothing can be frustrating. The best way to get rid of broken links is to constantly keep a check on your web pages.
7. Outdated information on site
It is important to regularly keep updating the information on the website no matter how old the website gets. If your website visitors discover that the information on your website is obsolete and no longer relevant, they will leave your site and hardly come back again.
It is very important to keep your site content fresh and regularly updated. This will help retain credibility and respect for your website in your audience’s minds.
8. Poor quality content
You need to provide your website visitors value or else they have no reason to stay. Ensure your site has unique and rich content free from grammatical and spelling mistakes. The content should be informative, educative, or entertaining and should talk to your target audience in a way they can understand and relate.
In this article we have explored 8 common mistakes that causes your website visitors to leave your website and how to fix them.
In addition to retaining your website visitors, fixing these web design mistakes will also help your website to rank higher on search engines and improve conversions.
If you are ready to revamp your website, our talented team of website designers and developers can create you a clean, professional and responsive website that will bring you results at an affordable price. Learn more about our professional website design and development services in Kenya today!
Share on Social Media
- Content is King: What on earth does that mean?
- 8 big web design mistakes that drives away website visitors
- Reasons why your website does not get you any results
- How to display code in a web page [just like in text editors]
- 7 ways that you can make money from your blog
- Step-by-step guide on how to create & setup a Facebook page
- 10 Reasons why your website may need redesigning
- How to create and setup a LinkedIn page for your Company
- How to turn off getting Facebook email notifications
- How to disable/turn off getting twitter email notifications
- Why you should hire an experienced website developer
- Reasons why your website should be SEO optimized
- Different types of digital marketing explained
- 10 Essential web pages that every business website should have
- How to configure custom domain email to use in Gmail
- How to Get More Visitors to Your Website for Free
- Search Engine Optimization(SEO) explanation to a layman
- Why your business need to have a website
- Reasons why your website should have a blog
- Basic Terminologies in Website Design and Development
- Computer Keyboard Shortcuts that you should know
- [Solved] Drag and drop not working in Ubuntu 19.04
- How to embed Google Map with location marker to your website
- The complete HTTP Status response codes reference
- Differences between shared, VPS, dedicated and cloud hosting