5 Characteristics that every computer programmer should have
Posted on February 19, 2016
Are you a computer programmer or aspiring to be one? I assure you coding is awesome and sweet if you have what it takes to be one, otherwise, you may feel discouraged and see it as a living hell. Just like all other disciplines, I call programming a calling that requires one to have various life skills. The following is a list of characteristics that every successful programmer should possess:
Patience is a virtue required in all fields of life. In programming, even the finest programmer encounters some bugs in the code in day to day life. These errors may be a result of missing or extra commas, semi-colons, apostrophes or braces, etc. A single comma can make 10,000 lines of code programs fail to execute completely. These small errors are usually difficult to identify and can give you a whole day headache. Also, you may have some idea in your mind that you wish to implement but keeps on failing and giving errors whenever you try to run the code. This calls for a high level of patience and those who don’t have patience will be scared and end up quitting.
Just as art requires enormous creativity, software development is also the same. To come up with a unique product that never existed before and still looks awesome and functions exemplary, one has to be able to view it in mind and design it on paper. With creativity, this is a simple task that is easy to achieve.
Converting ideas into lines of code, encountering lots of errors, and having to learn all the time to keep yourself up-to-date with the latest technology is not a joke. To do all this you have to love everything about programming. There must be a force in you propelling you towards it. With passion, nothing seems a bother.
4. Ready to learn new things/flexible.
Just as technology is dynamic and keeps changing and improving every now and then, also the programmers should not be rigid but be ready also to change. New technologies are emerging daily causing the older ones to be considered obsolete and making the rigid conservative programmers who do not embrace change become less competitive in the job market. Those that keep themselves always updated with every bit of technology improvement are highly considered and competitive.
5. Critical thinker
As a programmer, clients will come to you and give you a list of requirements that they intend the proposed software product to accomplish. They will not care which languages or methodologies you use provided the final product suits their needs and work as expected. It will be up to you to design and implement to come up with the system. This will require critical thinking in order to convert the ideas to come up with the exact required system.
By writing this article, my aim was not to scare anyone but to encourage and tell the reality. These are must-have characteristics that every successful programmer should have. With them, programming becomes enjoyable and interesting. If you have them, then I believe with determination nothing can prevent you from becoming the best of the best in programming.
Share on Social Media
- Content is King: What on earth does that mean?
- 8 big web design mistakes that drives away website visitors
- Reasons why your website does not get you any results
- How to display code in a web page [just like in text editors]
- 7 ways that you can make money from your blog
- Step-by-step guide on how to create & setup a Facebook page
- 10 Reasons why your website may need redesigning
- How to create and setup a LinkedIn page for your Company
- How to turn off getting Facebook email notifications
- How to disable/turn off getting twitter email notifications
- Why you should hire an experienced website developer
- Reasons why your website should be SEO optimized
- Different types of digital marketing explained
- 10 Essential web pages that every business website should have
- How to configure custom domain email to use in Gmail
- How to Get More Visitors to Your Website for Free
- Search Engine Optimization(SEO) explanation to a layman
- Why your business need to have a website
- Reasons why your website should have a blog
- Basic Terminologies in Website Design and Development
- Computer Keyboard Shortcuts that you should know
- [Solved] Drag and drop not working in Ubuntu 19.04
- How to embed Google Map with location marker to your website
- The complete HTTP Status response codes reference
- Differences between shared, VPS, dedicated and cloud hosting