Procedure of installing WordPress on a local server
Posted on February 18, 2016
WordPress is an open source(FREE) website creation tool based on PHP and MYSQL. It is the easiest and most powerful blogging and website content management system (CMS) today. It is easy to learn and to use. I will assume you have already installed xampp or wamp in your computer. Follow the following steps for installation:
Download the latest version of wordpress from www.wordpress.org/download. It will be downloaded in zipped form.
Extract the zip file using an unzipping software such as WINRAR. Open that folder, then copy the folder named "wordpress" inside it. Open local disk C (or any other disk in which you have installed xampp/wamp). Open the folder named xampp or wampp depending on which you have installed in your computer. If you use xampp, open the folder named “htdocs” and paste it there.
For wampp users, open the folder named “www” and paste it there.
Now you are ready to start.
Make sure apache and mysql are started and running in xampp or all services in wamp.
Open your browser and type the url of the index file of WordPress in the address bar of your browser eg
NB: You can rename the folder "wordpress" to any name of your choice.
The first page for starting the installation opens with some instructions about the database.
Click the “Let’s go!” button to continue.
Another page requesting database name, username, password, database host and table prefix opens.
Fill in your database details and click “submit” to proceed.
If you have not yet created the database, open a new tab and type “localhost/phpmyadmin” in your browser address bar to open your phpmyAdmin and create a database. Then return to the installation page, fill in the details and click the "Submit" button.
Click “Run the install” button to continue.
In the page that opens, fill in all the fields in the form following the instructions given then click “Install WordPress”. You don’t need to have a website to fill the site title field, you can write any relevant title that you wish. Fill in your new username and password that you will be using during wordpress login.
Now you have successfully installed worpress in your computer and you need to login.
This is the login page and now you will be able to login and access the dashboard where you will be developing your website or blog.
Share on Social Media
- Content is King: What on earth does that mean?
- 8 big web design mistakes that drives away website visitors
- Reasons why your website does not get you any results
- How to display code in a web page [just like in text editors]
- 7 ways that you can make money from your blog
- Step-by-step guide on how to create & setup a Facebook page
- 10 Reasons why your website may need redesigning
- How to create and setup a LinkedIn page for your Company
- How to turn off getting Facebook email notifications
- How to disable/turn off getting twitter email notifications
- Why you should hire an experienced website developer
- Reasons why your website should be SEO optimized
- Different types of digital marketing explained
- 10 Essential web pages that every business website should have
- How to configure custom domain email to use in Gmail
- How to Get More Visitors to Your Website for Free
- Search Engine Optimization(SEO) explanation to a layman
- Why your business need to have a website
- Reasons why your website should have a blog
- Basic Terminologies in Website Design and Development
- Computer Keyboard Shortcuts that you should know
- [Solved] Drag and drop not working in Ubuntu 19.04
- How to embed Google Map with location marker to your website
- The complete HTTP Status response codes reference
- Differences between shared, VPS, dedicated and cloud hosting