How to do Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for your website
Posted on January 29, 2016
SEO is the process (methodology, strategies, techniques, and tactics) of maximizing the number of visitors to a particular website by ensuring that the site appears high on the list of results returned by a search engine (eg Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc). SEO affects only the organic search results, that is the listings on search engine results pages that appear because of their relevance to the search terms but not as a result of advertisements.
The following are steps/tips to take in the process of SEO:
1. Create Unique, accurate, brief, and descriptive title tags for each page.
A title tag tells both users and search engines what the page content is all about on a particular page. For this reason, use a unique title for each page else the search engines will see all the pages with the same title just as the same page. The title should be within opening <title> and closing </title> tags which are within <head></head> tags of a HTML document eg.
<title>The Code Pot Technologies- Web design and development in Kenya</title>
If your web page appears in the search result page, the title (contents within the title tags) always appears in the first line of the results. Avoid usage or very lengthy titles and also titles with unrelated contents to those of the page.
2. Make use of “keywords” and “description” meta tags.
Description meta tags give search engines a summary of all that a page is about. It should be about one or a few sentences or a short paragraph. The meta tags should be within the head section of an HTML document. The following is an example.
<meta name="description" content=”The Code Pot Technologies provides professional website design and development services at an affordable cost. We also do search engine optimization…”>
A description meta tag is important because search engine might use it as a snippet (text displayed beneath the title of a corresponding web page on the search result page of a search engine) for your page if they can’t get a good selection of text in the snippet.
Use a description tag that will accurately summarize the page’s content and at the same time interest users. Use unique descriptions for each page to avoid bringing up multiple pages of your domain during searches.
3. Improve the structure of your URLs.
Use short URLs that are easy to spell, understand, and remember with words that are relevant to your site’s content. They should be friendly to your visitors and they may be willing to link them. Use a simple directory structure that organizes your content well and makes it possible for visitors to know where they are on your website. Avoid having deep nesting of your subdirectories and directory names with no relation with content in them. Also, avoid capitalization of your URLs and usage of hyphens (-) within your domain name.
4. Make your site easy to navigate.
This is very important as it helps visitors to quickly locate the content they want as well as helping search engines understand what content the webmaster thinks is important. Plan your navigation based on your homepage. Think of how visitors will go from the homepage(which is the most frequented page) to the other pages containing more specific content. Mostly use text for navigation which makes it easier for search engines to crawl and understand your site. Creating and submitting an XML sitemap ensures that search engines discover the pages on your site.
For navigation, the focus should be on simplicity and ease of use!
5. Offer Quality Content and services.
Interesting sites will increase their recognition on their own. This is the most important of all the other steps. When users find good content in your website, they will likely tell others about it and direct others to your site. This helps create a good reputation with both users and search engines. Create fresh and unique content to bring new visitors. Organize your content with easy-to-read text with no grammatical errors or too much usage of vocabulary. Consider creating a new useful service that no other site offers.
6. Write better and descriptive anchor text.
Anchor text is the clickable text that the users will see as a result of a link. It is placed in href=”” within anchor <a></a> tags. It tells users and search engines about the page you are linking to. It should be descriptive and give an idea of what the page linked to it is about. They should be easy to spot and look different from regular texts to prevent users from missing them or clicking them by a mistake.
7. Use heading tags appropriately.
Heading tags are used to emphasize important text as they appear larger than normal text. They should be used sparingly and where necessary across all the pages. They should be used in defining the structure of the page but not styling the text to make it appear bigger.
8. Optimize your use of images.
Provide image-related information by using the “alt” attribute to specify alternative text for the image if it cannot be displayed for some reason. If you are using an image as a link the alt text for that image will be treated similarly to the anchor text for that link. Using too many images for a link is not recommended by search engines for site navigation while text navigation could serve the same purpose.
Optimizing your image filenames and alt text makes it easier for image search projects like Google Image Search to better understand your images. Use commonly supported file types by most browsers such as JPEG, GIF, PNG, and BMP. Use brief but descriptive file names and alt text. You can also supply an image sitemap file to provide search engines with more information about images found on your site.
Share on Social Media
- Content is King: What on earth does that mean?
- 8 big web design mistakes that drives away website visitors
- Reasons why your website does not get you any results
- How to display code in a web page [just like in text editors]
- 7 ways that you can make money from your blog
- Step-by-step guide on how to create & setup a Facebook page
- 10 Reasons why your website may need redesigning
- How to create and setup a LinkedIn page for your Company
- How to turn off getting Facebook email notifications
- How to disable/turn off getting twitter email notifications
- Why you should hire an experienced website developer
- Reasons why your website should be SEO optimized
- Different types of digital marketing explained
- 10 Essential web pages that every business website should have
- How to configure custom domain email to use in Gmail
- How to Get More Visitors to Your Website for Free
- Search Engine Optimization(SEO) explanation to a layman
- Why your business need to have a website
- Reasons why your website should have a blog
- Basic Terminologies in Website Design and Development
- Computer Keyboard Shortcuts that you should know
- [Solved] Drag and drop not working in Ubuntu 19.04
- How to embed Google Map with location marker to your website
- The complete HTTP Status response codes reference
- Differences between shared, VPS, dedicated and cloud hosting