[Solved] Drag and drop not working in Ubuntu 19.04
Posted on March 12, 2020
Dragging and dropping files from the file manager to different applications is an awesome functionality that makes work easier and that saves time. This may include uploading files to a website or opening them with their respective applications such as image editors(images), text-editor(code files eg. php, html files), video player(videos & audios) etc.
However, you may get frustrated when you migrate to Ubuntu 19.04 or a later version for there has been a known issue with drag and drop feature. I personally experienced this issue when I migrated from Linux Mint 17.3 to Ubuntu 19.04. The problem is that when you drag a file or files from the file manager over to an application icon in taskbar, that application does not open to allow you to drop files in to it.
After a lot of stress and research on how to resolve the issue(which didn’t really work in my case), I figured a very easy way to still do it.
Here is the solution:
Note: I made the screenshots used in here later in Ubuntu 20.04 but the functionality is still the same for Ubuntu 19.04.
- Left-click on the file that you want to drag(or select the files and left-click on them if they are several) and hold the left-click button.
- Press the ALT key and keep holding on it too. Press the TAB key, a pop-up will appear on the screen with a list of all open applications
- Navigate through these applications by pressing and releasing the TAB key while still holding the left-click button and ALT key
- Once your application of choice is selected, release both ALT and TAB keys and drag the files to the desired section of the active application.
- You can now release the left-click button just as you would with the normal dragging.
That’s it.. we are done.
This may seem like a lot of work initially but you will get used to it very fast.
Share on Social Media
- Content is King: What on earth does that mean?
- 8 big web design mistakes that drives away website visitors
- Reasons why your website does not get you any results
- How to display code in a web page [just like in text editors]
- 7 ways that you can make money from your blog
- Step-by-step guide on how to create & setup a Facebook page
- 10 Reasons why your website may need redesigning
- How to create and setup a LinkedIn page for your Company
- How to turn off getting Facebook email notifications
- How to disable/turn off getting twitter email notifications
- Why you should hire an experienced website developer
- Reasons why your website should be SEO optimized
- Different types of digital marketing explained
- 10 Essential web pages that every business website should have
- How to configure custom domain email to use in Gmail
- How to Get More Visitors to Your Website for Free
- Search Engine Optimization(SEO) explanation to a layman
- Why your business need to have a website
- Reasons why your website should have a blog
- Basic Terminologies in Website Design and Development
- Computer Keyboard Shortcuts that you should know
- [Solved] Drag and drop not working in Ubuntu 19.04
- How to embed Google Map with location marker to your website
- The complete HTTP Status response codes reference
- Differences between shared, VPS, dedicated and cloud hosting